Sunday, October 16, 2011

Old Grudges, Assassination Plots, Foreign Countries, and a Mexican Drug Cartel?

Kicking it off in a true James Bond fashion Iran, Saudi Arabia, and a Mexican drug cartel all meet on American soil. How? Theory is that that Iranian government hired a Mexican drug cartel to kill the Saudi Arabian ambassador so that the relationship between America and Saudi Arabia would be wrecked. This would let Iran step in as the new power for the Middle East and none would truly notice while America and Saudi Arabia were at each other's throats.

Obviously the operation didn't go as planned. The ambassador is fine, and now all eyes are on Iran. While the Iranian government is insisting that they had nothing to do with the plot, there is substantial evidence against them and this may have pushed the Saudi Arabian government from simply belligerent to openly hostile.

Personally I'm having trouble getting past the fact that if someone hadn't told me that this really happened I would have thought that they were talking about the next James Bond movie. I haven't had the pleasure of living long enough to have the chance to experience this phenomena more than once, but this is truly a time when reality is stranger than fiction. Here's the article from "The New York Times" that I read this story from.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/us/obama-calls-for-iran-sanctions-following-alleged-plot.html?ref=todayspaper

1 comment:

  1. I really found this funny. I heard about this earlier and I find it fascinating. I mean, I love it when life seems like something write out of a novel. xD
    I don't want this comment to count as a grade or anything. I just really liked this story..

    ReplyDelete